Cheesy Cauliflower with Peas
I couldn't "sell" cauliflower to my daughters until I came up with this saucy casserole. Then they requested it. It appeals to kids' tastes, even with vegetables they don't usually eat.—Barbara Jaggers, Colorado Springs, Colorado
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), broken into florets
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a covered saucepan, cook cauliflower in a small amount of water
- until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Drain the cauliflower. Add peas, mushrooms, 1
- cup of cheese and cauliflower to the milk mixture; stir gently.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining
- cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 10
- minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 174 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 388 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.