Anyone who hints at not enjoying broccoli would like this recipe. The vegetable combination, enhanced by cheddar cheese, makes a colorful side dish.
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces each) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, saute the carrots, celery and onion in 3 teaspoons butter until tender. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with 3/4 cup cheese. In the same skillet, saute broccoli in the remaining butter for 1 minute. Place over cheese; pour broth over all.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Carrot Broccoli Casserole in Reminisce January/February 2005, p48
Reviews for Cheesy Carrot Broccoli Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 31, 2012
"You can use less butter and lowfat cheese to make a more healthy side dish."
Reviewed Mar. 13, 2011
"This was a huge success for my senior luncheon."