Cheesy Carrot Bake Recipe
Carrots become everyone's favorite vegetable when they're prepared in Cheesy Carrot Casserole, says Carol Wilson of Dixon, Illinois.
- 4 pounds carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1-1/4 cups chopped onions
- 11 tablespoons butter, divided
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 10 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 5-1/2 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1. Place carrots in a Dutch oven and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onions in 4 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, celery salt, mustard and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cheese until melted. Add carrots and stir to coat.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread cubes. Sprinkle over the carrots. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 18 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 218 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 475 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Cheesy Carrot Bake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC