Cheesy Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon or 1/2 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Add broccoli. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup liquid.
- In another large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Whisk in flour until blended. Add the milk and cheese. Cook over medium-low heat until thickened and cheese is melted, stirring frequently. Stir in broccoli and reserved cooking liquid. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Broccoli Soup(7)
Sort By :
Just finished it WOW very good soup. A++++only used 3/4 pound of cheese and added 1/4 more cup of milk, garlic, and 1/2 cup of cooked bacon drained and chopped up.
Very easy and good. I made a few adjustments. I added an additional cup of milk, used less velvetta and added some cheddar. I also added just a touch of salt, pepper, and ground sage.
I loved This soup I added some ham and it was thick which I was hoping for ! I will be making this again! I loved the cheesy taste!
My picky family loved this. The onion flavor seems to mellow out if the soup is kept warming on the stove. Might benefit from a little garlic, a little more broth to make it thinner, and maybe a few stray veggies.
I enjoyed this but also agree that less cheese is better. Try to use the chopped broccoli - I only had spears on hand and it made for some rather large spoonfuls!