Cheesy Broccoli Rigatoni Recipe
- 12 ounces uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside. Drain pasta and toss with oil; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and broccoli to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- 3. In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer 1 cup white sauce, half of the pasta and broccoli and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 280 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 434 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.