- 12 ounces uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside. Drain pasta and toss with oil; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and broccoli to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer 1 cup white sauce, half of the pasta and broccoli and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Broccoli Rigatoni
"My husband and I really liked this. I think it would be really good with some other veggies in it too. I cut the recipe in half, but forgot to cut the cheese in half, so it was extra cheesy :) Other than that, I followed the recipe. It tasted homemade to me, but in a good way. Tasted fresh. Next time I will think about adding other veggies, maybe some corn to get a sweet crispness."
"This recipe is not only easy, it is SO GOOD. When I decided to make this I expected it to just be ok.. it is a lot more than "ok", the sauce and cheese make it sooo good. I wind up using more pasta sometimes so I double the sauce usually. If you are considering try this, do it. You will not even miss the meat! Great for "meatless monday""
"Very Good Recipe that we will make again. Has a simple flavor of the Garlic and dairy, not a lot of other flavors but delectable none the less. We added a chicken breast that I grilled to the top so there was some meat with it as a complete meal. If you are not making this for 4 adults or more try to make Half the recipe there is a lot of leftovers which is fine but not everyone wants so much left."
"Made this for Thanksgiving and it got rave reviews and there was only about 2 servings left at the end of the day. Had great flavor and was creamy. Since I love cheese, I may had another more flavorful cheese to the recipe and a little more garlic. Otherwise, YUM!"
"Love this. What a great and different way to have pasta and broccoli. I also like to add about 2 cups of cooked meat to this to make it a main dish. Turkey, chicken, and ham work well. I might try this next time with shrimp or crab, what a treat that will be!!!"