"This cheese-and-veggie-packed pasta side dish always brings compliments. Add chicken or shrimp, and you'll have a well-balanced entree," Lisa Csiki of North Windham, Connecticut suggests. "The tasty white sauce can be used on many foods. My husband even likes it spooned over eggs!"
- 12 ounces uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside. Drain pasta and toss with oil; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and broccoli to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer 1 cup white sauce, half of the pasta and broccoli and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Broccoli Rigatoni in Light & Tasty June/July 2001, p56
Reviews for Cheesy Broccoli Rigatoni
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review