Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
My mother-in-law gave me the recipe for this hearty dish 32 years ago. It was the only way I could get my husband to eat broccoliby hiding it in the stuffing!Sheron Hutcheson of Newark, Delaware
7 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, drained and patted dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 package (6 ounces) reduced-sodium stuffing mix
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, cheese, stuffing mix, onion,
- egg, nutmeg and pepper. Gradually stir in milk and broth.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake,
- uncovered, at 325° for 50-55 minutes or until a thermometer
- reads 160°. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Yield: 7 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 246 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 389 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.