I serve this satisfying bread as a side with meat, fish and main-dish soups and salads. The savory slices are lifesavers when you need a last-minute appetizer or brunch item. —Lori Stefanishion, Drumheller, Alberta
- 6 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 carton (8 ounces) spreadable garlic and herb cream cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Add onions; cook and stir until liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- Cut French bread in half lengthwise and then widthwise; spread cut sides with cream cheese. Combine the Italian cheese, mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese; spread over bread. Top with mushroom mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve warm. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Cheese Bread in Country Woman October/November 2008, p34
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Cheesy Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review