I serve this satisfying bread as a side with meat, fish and main-dish soups and salads. The savory slices are lifesavers when you need a last-minute appetizer or brunch item. —Lori Stefanishion, Drumheller, Alberta
16 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 carton (8 ounces) spreadable garlic and herb cream cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Add
- onions; cook and stir until liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- Cut French bread in half lengthwise and then widthwise; spread cut
- sides with cream cheese. Combine the Italian cheese, mayonnaise and
- Parmesan cheese; spread over bread. Top with mushroom mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until
- cheese is melted. If desired, broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-4
- minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve warm. Yield: 16
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 308 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 534 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.