I serve this satisfying bread as a side with meat, fish and main-dish soups and salads. The savory slices are lifesavers when you need a last-minute appetizer or brunch item. —Lori Stefanishion, Drumheller, Alberta
Recommended: 12 Recipes to Make in a Bread Bowl
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 1 carton (8 ounces) spreadable garlic and herb cream cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Add onions; cook and stir until liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- Cut French bread in half lengthwise and then widthwise; spread cut sides with cream cheese. Combine the Italian cheese, mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese; spread over bread. Top with mushroom mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve warm. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Cheese Bread in Country Woman October/November 2008, p34
Reviews forCheesy Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 30, 2011
"Next time I will use only half the cream cheese spread -- it overwhelmed the other flavors. Definitely a keeper!"