This is one of my family's absolute favorite meatless meals. I came up with this variation on lasagna to help my husband lower his cholesterol level, and I never dreamed that family and friends would rave over it.” Dusty Davis - Slidell, Louisiana
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, cilantro and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg whites, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Drain noodles. Spread 1/2 cup bean mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with three noodles, a third of the ricotta mixture, a third of the remaining bean mixture and 2/3 cup cheese blend. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Lasagna in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008, p13
Reviews for Cheesy Black Bean Lasagne
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review