Cheesy Black Bean Lasagne Recipe
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1. Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, cilantro and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the egg whites, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- 3. Drain noodles. Spread 1/2 cup bean mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with three noodles, a third of the ricotta mixture, a third of the remaining bean mixture and 2/3 cup cheese blend. Repeat layers twice.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 279 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 455 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Cheesy Black Bean Lasagne
"This recipe was good, but I feel like it needed some balance with the ricotta mixture. I think I would just adjust with either more beans or less ricotta."
"Merged this recipe with another with great results. Added 1 cup salsa, 1/2 to 1 cup water (so I did not have to boil the noodles), some cumin and crushed red pepper. After baking and resting topped with crushed tortilla chips, some additional cheese and fresh chopped cilantro. Served at a community meal to 70+ people with great reviews."
"Loved it! So full of flavor you forget there's no meat in it!"
"This wasn't bad at all but I'm on weight watchers and it was a very small portion for 10p+...& that's for 1.5 servings...8 in a lasagna pan rather than the 12 the recipe calls for. Anyway...unless I'm blind no where in the recipe does it tell you what to do with the shredded mexican blend of cheese?? I added it to the egg white mixture because to me that was pretty watery...I also used the no boil Barilla lasagna noodles and I only used 6 because there was not enough cheese or bean mixture to make another layer."
"This was really good. My brother and his girlfriend are vegetarian, it was perfect for them. My brother said it was the best lasagna he had so far."
"When I told my husband and teenage daughter what I was making for dinner, they both grumbled and said they would have hot dogs Instead. Well they both tried it and loved it and even had seconds. I too thought it was excellent. I didn’t put in the parsley as I thought it might clash with the cilantro. Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly."
"I prepared this dish for a group of 6. Only one of us is a vegetarian, but the dish was loved by everyone! This recipe is definitely a keeper!"
"absolutely wonderful. Everyone raved about it. Used 1/2 tsp of the red pepper, added fresh ground pepper and a dash of salt, and used FRESH cilantro and Italian parsley, --- and no one thought it was bland. Such a healthy and tasty lasagna. My new fav!!"
"Very odd flavor combination. Would probably be delicious with tortillas instead of lasanga noodles. As it was, we had a very large pan of lasanga that we had to throw away because the flavors and textures were too unpleasant."
"My family loved loved this recipe. After reading other reviews I decided to add a little extra red crushed peppers, salt & pepper to make it spicer. Great recipe"
"This is my husbands new favorite. Easy to make and tasty. I use whole wheat noodles and I add more salt and chipotle seasoning to kick it up, but otherwise its great."
"I agree about it being a bit bland. I added salt and pepper periodically but it still needed more. Will tweek the recipe next time even more but this is a great vegetarian meal!"
"This was a great recipe. My husband and I loved it; our daughter on the other hand, prefers the traditional meat lasagna. I will definitely make this one again."
"This was was a good meatless option. It was just a little bland, so the next time we make it we'll increase the spices. But will definitely make it again."
"I liked the idea of using black beans instead of meat so I tried this recipe. I was very pleased with the result. Thanks."