Cheesy Beef Spirals Recipe
"My mom shared this easy-to-assemble casserole years ago," recalls Brenda Marschall of Poplar Bluff, Missouri. "It's very good with garlic toast," she adds. Large shell macaroni or ziti noodles can be used instead of spiral pasta.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the beef, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Place 1/2 cup of meat sauce in a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Drain pasta; place half over sauce. Top with half of the remaining meat sauce; spread with sour cream. Top with process cheese and remaining pasta and meat sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 464 calories, 25 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 849 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 33 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC