Cheesy Beef 'n' Rice
"This herb-seasoned casserole is one dish that all six of our kids love," notes Gwen Bradshaw of Kennewick, Washington. Serve garlic bread and fresh spinach salad to round out the meal.
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute rice and garlic in butter until golden
- brown. Stir in water, carrots, bouillon, parsley, salt, basil and
- onion. Bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5
- minutes. Stir in beef. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking
- dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes, stirring twice.
- Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until
- cheese is melted.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 310 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 417 mg sodium,