After my dad had heart-trouble years ago, my mom adapted an old recipe to come up with this colorful all-in-one dish. It has been a favorite for a long time. Even our kids like it, and they can be quite picky! —Linda Rindels of Littleton, Colorado
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook rice according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl; add the beans. In a nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil; remove from the heat.
- In a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer a third of the rice mixture, cheese and tomato mixture. Repeat layers. Layer with remaining rice mixture and tomato mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Beans and Rice in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p27
Reviews for Cheesy Beans and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review