Cheesy Beans and Rice Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl; add the beans. In a nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil; remove from the heat.
- 2. In a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer a third of the rice mixture, cheese and tomato mixture. Repeat layers. Layer with remaining rice mixture and tomato mixture.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 306 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 470 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Cheesy Beans and Rice
"very tasty! Added rolls and a veggie and this was a filling meal"
"love it with flower tortillas"