After my dad had heart-trouble years ago, my mom adapted an old recipe to come up with this colorful all-in-one dish. It has been a favorite for a long time. Even our kids like it, and they can be quite picky! —Linda Rindels of Littleton, Colorado
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook rice according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl; add the beans. In a nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil; remove from the heat.
- In a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer a third of the rice mixture, cheese and tomato mixture. Repeat layers. Layer with remaining rice mixture and tomato mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cheesy Beans and Rice in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p27
Reviews for Cheesy Beans and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 4, 2011
"very tasty! Added rolls and a veggie and this was a filling meal"
Reviewed Jan. 17, 2010
"love it with flower tortillas"