Cheesy Baked Onions
I FOUND this recipe in the newspaper many years ago. It has been a family favorite ever since.
Since it goes well with any meat, it's a good "dish to pass" for family gatherings or potluck suppers. Someone will always ask "Who brought the onions?"
-Louise Elliott, Gallipolis, Ohio
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Slice onion and separate into rings; place in a greased 1-qt. baking
- dish and set aside. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the
- butter. Stir in the flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk;
- bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Pour over onions. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or
- until onions are tender and cheese is browned. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 198 calories, 13 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 499 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.