- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well; set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add salt and pepper.
- In an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer half of the asparagus. Cover with half of the eggs, cheese and sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with potato chips.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Cheesy Asparagus Casserole
Sort By :
"I have had this since I was young, my mother,grandmother and great grandmother always fixed this for Easter dinner. It's been a tradition in our family for over sixty years. I too, fix it several times a year, and the reviews are right, people who say they don't like asparagus love it. The only thing we do different is used buttered breadcrumbs on top instead of the potato chips. I now use buttered panko crumbs because I like the crunch."
"This is the second year I have been making this ,all who tried it liked it . Great combination of ingrediants. And prsentation is nice as well. Lisa"