Cheesy Asparagus Casserole Recipe
MY SISTER created this recipe and shared it with me. I always serve it on special holidays, particularly Easter. My husband says he hates asparagus, but he loves this casserole. He doesn't know he's eating his "enemy vegetable"! -Joyce Allison, Millsap, Texas
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well; set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add salt and pepper.
- In an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer half of the asparagus. Cover with half of the eggs, cheese and sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with potato chips.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Asparagus Casserole in Reminisce March/April 1999, p45
Reviews for Cheesy Asparagus Casserole(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 20, 2009
This is the second year I have been making this ,all who tried it liked it . Great combination of ingrediants. And prsentation is nice as well. Lisa