Cheesy Asparagus Bites Recipe
When I managed a cafeteria, I would cook up different snacks for the staff. These tiny squares with big asparagus flavor never lasted long and prompted lots of recipe requests. —Lois McAtee, Oceanside, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing YIELD:20 servings
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1. In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Combine cheese, bread crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper, oregano and hot pepper sauce. Stir in the onion mixture and eggs.
- 2. Cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes; drain well.
- 3. Stir into cheese mixture. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cut into small squares; serve warm. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 serving (3 each) equals 77 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC