Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes (1-3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside. In the same saucepan, saute the onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Cheeseburger Soup
Sort By :
"This is an excellent meal! I didn't change a thing in the recipe. This soup is hearty and so very good just as written. I've made it for numerous potlucks and other occasions and the pot always goes home empty. My son's friends say this is the best soup they've ever tasted!"
"I made this for a work potluck last week and it was a hit!"
"This is awesome soup! My husband requests it regularly."
"Yummy! Even my picky non soup loving family member loved it."
"This is a perennial favourite. I think the velveeta makes the soup tend to develop a skin on top if it cools at all, so I usually alter the recipe slightly by making a sauce of the flour, butter, milk & real cheddar and then stirring it into the soup. I have yet to find someone who doesn't like this."