Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes (1-3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside. In the same saucepan, saute the onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Cheeseburger Soup(319)
Sort By :
This was delicious! I did make a few changes. I used 1/2 lb. ground beef, 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage, and I also threw in 1/2 jar of real bacon bits. I used 3 cups of NY sharp cheddar instead of Velveeta. I also used garden vegetable broth instead of chicken broth since someone I was cooking for is allergic to chicken. Very flavorful. Will definitely make again!
This is one of our favorites. I use beef stock instead of chicken for a meatier flavor, but other than that, no real changes!! And as a bonus, it freezes well, so I can make a double batch and freeze it in single serve containers for lunches or quick dinners
Absolutely delicious! The only changes I made is that I didn't add celery (I just don't like celery, so I don't add it to anything.), and I used real shredded cheddar cheese instead of the processed stuff which is much better. It probably also made a difference that my broth was homemade. Yummy!
What a great soup. Printing up copies for friends. Make it per recipe and tweek to your taste. Easy to work with.
MMMMGood!!! I did add an extra 1/2 lb. hamburger. I didn't even try it with the sour cream, because it was so" GOOD" already. Also, it just get's tastier as leftovers! Thank you for a very tasty soup during this very long, very cold winter!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cheese Soup >
- Cheese Soup Recipes >
- Cheeseburger Soup >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Ground Beef Recipes >