- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (16 ounces) Velveeta process cheese, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until tender, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Cheeseburger Soup
"just made this.....it is super delish. made few add- ins/changes: added a chicken bouillon (sp) cube and only 1/2 tsp sea salt, used 10 oz extra sharp white cheddar which I grated (only had 10 oz in fridge), plus I used 3/4 cup milk and 3/4 cup heavy cream. crumbled bacon on top and added croutons. my hubby added swirl of ketchup and chopped pickles. so good. people that made this and say it has no flavor, put a bouillon cube in there. every soup I make I add a cube. I don't understand why ppl don't cook more with it, it adds flavor! just cut back on the salt that recipe calls for."
"Love - Love - Love this soup!!! My family enjoys it as a meal - very hearty. Don't let the use of Velveta scare you, it really works well. The recipe is wonderful as written, however I occasionally change things up for a slightly different taste. My favourite is simply adding 1lb of ground beef (instead of 1/2 a lb) and a little Cajun Seasoning (Tony Chacheres). Or a can of Rotel Tomatoes for Queso Dip flavour (kids really liked this)."
"good one!! Delicious!!"
"So good I made homemade bread bowls to go with, this recipe knocks it out of the park! Love it!"
"Delicious! Even the kids love it!"
"Making this for the 2nd time!! I switch things around though for my family. I use 2 lbs ground beef, garlic instead of onion, turkey broth instead of chicken. I also diced 2 green peppers. My taters are gold ones and smaller so I peeled diced 6. Topped with diced bacon before serving-adds a smoky flavor.We use this as a dip soup!! Mmm the best with scoop chips. I make for supper main night then put leftovers in qt canning jars.Hubs had this at a truck stop one time and says mine is hands down the best soup ever!!"
"Made this tonight and it was delish. Changed it by using a can of evaporated milk instead of the regular milk, used just over a pound of hamburger, 2 cans of chicken broth, 2 cups of shredded cheddar and 1 cup velveeta, and did not use the flour thickener. It was very tasty and hearty. Will make again."
"Excellent! We added some more velveeta and it was cheesy and awesome! Will definitely make it again."
"Excellent! It's a meal in a bowl. i used a pound of ground beef. Makes it a heartier soup."
"This soup is rich and delicious. This is the second time I've made this recipe and I have made a couple of additions. I use a pound of hamburger which is perfect for my family. We like a punch of flavor so I add a can of Rotel. I use the emersion blender and all it does is add flavor and it doesn't change the color. I fried some bacon and we added it as a garnish. Delicious!"