- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (16 ounces) Velveeta process cheese, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until tender, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews forCheeseburger Soup
"I make quantities of this recipe & freeze for Me & Gifts...that's how good it is!"
"Made this for supper tonight and it was delicious!! I plan on sharing this recipe with my grown daughters. I know my son-in-law will love it!!"
"Can you make this cheeseburger soup in a crockpot ?"
"A new family favorite!!"
"My family and I love this recipe so much I have shared it with my older sister and her granddaughter said that it was from Heaven. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us."
"My husband and I loved this soup. I did make some adjustments though. I only put in 2 cups of potatoes instead of 4, and 8 oz. of cheese instead of 16. Excellent taste."
"I made this the other day and my whole family loved it. Thank you for sharing it!"
"I added bacon"
"Definite Keeper!!! My family loved this soup and it will be made again."