- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (16 ounces) Velveeta process cheese, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until tender, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Cheeseburger Soup
"My family and I love this recipe so much I have shared it with my older sister and her granddaughter said that it was from Heaven. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us."
"My husband and I loved this soup. I did make some adjustments though. I only put in 2 cups of potatoes instead of 4, and 8 oz. of cheese instead of 16. Excellent taste."
"I made this the other day and my whole family loved it. Thank you for sharing it!"
"I added bacon"
"Definite Keeper!!! My family loved this soup and it will be made again."
"I'm gonna make this again, but DEFINITELY with adjustments. No celery! It's extremely distracting. I'll also be adding chopped pickles. I've had another cheeseburger soup recipe that had them and it was DELICIOUS! Who knew, right?! Leave out the basil. It makes this taste like a spaghetti sauce gone wrong. Lastly, a whole pound of Velveeta? Really?! I'd cut that to about 1/4 of that! Garnish with Cheddar if ya want more cheese."
"I made this soup and it is yummy!"
"I made a double batch and my husband and I loved it!"
"This is great soup. It has everything in it my husband loves and he requests it over and over."