"Years ago, my mom converted a stuffed pepper recipe into this easy pita sandwich that calls for leftover rice," relates Becky Floyd of Riverside, California. "I've loved it since I was a kid, and now it's one of my husband's favorites, too." TIP: "For added convenience, use frozen diced green pepper and onions," advised Becky.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 pita pocket halves
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the rice, tomato
- sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in cheese; cover and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is
- melted. Spoon mixture into pita pockets. Yield: 4 servings.