Cheeseburger Pitas Recipe
"Years ago, my mom converted a stuffed pepper recipe into this easy pita sandwich that calls for leftover rice," relates Becky Floyd of Riverside, California. "I've loved it since I was a kid, and now it's one of my husband's favorites, too." TIP: "For added convenience, use frozen diced green pepper and onions," advised Becky.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 pita pocket halves
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the rice, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in cheese; cover and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Spoon mixture into pita pockets. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cheeseburger Pitas in Quick Cooking July/August 2005, p54
Reviews for Cheeseburger Pitas(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 16, 2011
I was using flour tortillas because I had no pitas. Even my 6 year old son did love it and he is hard to please when it comes to food
Reviewed Feb. 18, 2010
I love this recipe, so flavorful and easy to make. Can be doubled very easy. The filling freezes very well.