Cheeseburger Pitas Recipe
"Years ago, my mom converted a stuffed pepper recipe into this easy pita sandwich that calls for leftover rice," relates Becky Floyd of Riverside, California. "I've loved it since I was a kid, and now it's one of my husband's favorites, too." TIP: "For added convenience, use frozen diced green pepper and onions," advised Becky.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 pita pocket halves
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the rice, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in cheese; cover and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Spoon mixture into pita pockets. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cheeseburger Pitas in Quick Cooking July/August 2005, p54
Reviews for Cheeseburger Pitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 16, 2011
"I was using flour tortillas because I had no pitas. Even my 6 year old son did love it and he is hard to please when it comes to food"
Reviewed Feb. 18, 2010
"I love this recipe, so flavorful and easy to make. Can be doubled very easy. The filling freezes very well."