Cheeseburger Loaf Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 8 ounces plain or Mexican process cheese (Velveeta), sliced
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add soup, garlic salt, salt and pepper; simmer, uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, slice the top third off the bread. Hollow out bottom half of loaf, leaving a 3/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Spread butter on cut side of bread. Place loaf on an ungreased baking sheet and broil 4-in. from the heat until lightly browned.
- 3. Spoon beef mixture into shell; arrange cheese slices on top. Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Replace bread top. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 399 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 1,135 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Reviews for Cheeseburger Loaf
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.