Cheeseburger French Loaf Recipe
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 4 slices reduced-fat process American cheese product
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, mustard and ketchup; set aside.
- 2. Unroll dough starting at the seam. Pat into a 14x12-in. rectangle. Spoon meat mixture lengthwise down the center of the dough; top with cheese slices. Bring long sides of dough to the center over filling; pinch seam to seal.
- 3. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush with egg white. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 4. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in top of loaf. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice: 277 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 697mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Reviews for Cheeseburger French Loaf
"Super easy and super delicious!"
"Great recipe! I added green chiles because we like a bit of spice. I also made a beer dough in the bread machine instead of frozen dough. Its a good base recipe but i would recommend dressing it up a bit with onion and garlic powder too."
"I make this often and now just use this as a guide. I add in different spices and extra veggies sometimes!"
"This was such a hit with my family - I am making it again tonight."
"Very bland! Everyone ate it but no one liked it."
"This is fairly good, something different. I like to squirt just a little yellow mustard on top once it's finished cooking."
"Yummy and easy!"
"Absolutely delicious!! I can't believe it is only 277 calories. The whole family loved it! Will definitely make it again...and again!"
"We made this for Sunday night dinner...so yummy! The leftovers were great as well. This recipe would also be great for a football or superbowl party."
"I couldn't wait to make this recipe. Although i too made a few minor alterations. I used ground chicken, diced up 2 dill pickle stacker slices and added a bit more ketchup to balance out the mustard ketchup ratio. DELICIOUS! Oh yeah, and don't be scared of the french bread, if you UNROLL starting at the seam there are no issues, you don't have to roll it with a rolling pin. I rolled mine out on a glass cutting board and after filling and pinching seams, i placed the sprayed cookie sheet directly on top, and flipped the whole thing over, slowly removing the cutting board, it transferred remarkably well."
"Innovative idea, however filling flavor could use a bit of work."
"Thanks Catherine! I did make it as instructed the first time. (I always do that for recipes.) but I had a very very hard time rolling out the dough. I will try the pizza crust, hopefully that will work out easier. Otherwise this was very good! Family loved it."
"I have never seen french bread dough so I made my own in my breadmaker. Next time I will use half of the recipe I think.I used real cheddar cheese instead of "plastic cheese". I added pizza sauce to the meat as well.This was good, I will definitely make it again. Hmmm, maybe with mozzarella next time!"
"I don't have all the ingredients, but by Saturday I should. What a great idea!!"
"It's like a cheeseburger stromboli. I substituted some chopped mushrooms for the green pepper, and used shredded cheddar."
"Like others I had trouble with the bread dough. Next time I'll try rolling it out between two sheets of waxed paper. Other than that it is definitely a keeper. Might even give it five stars if the waxed paper works!"
"This was delicious! However, I found the French Loaf extremely difficult to work with as far as rolling out and filling with the meat mixture. It was a huge mess, but I baked it anyway, no matter how bad it looked. It tasted wonderful even though it didn't look too pretty. I would try it again with pizza crust or crescent roll dough, or even frozen thawed bread dough just to see if that makes a difference without changing the taste too much. Overall very good though, and the leftovers were delicious too!"
"This is a great recipe! It was so easy and it tastes wonderful! I substitued the Amercian cheese with cheddar bacon cheese for that bacon cheeseburger flavor. Yum."
"Impressive, delicious and easy to make. Will do again and again."