Cheeseburger Buns Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 8 slices process American cheese, quartered
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Punch dough down; divide into 16 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, gently roll out and stretch each piece into a 5-in. circle. Top each circle with two pieces of cheese and about 3 tablespoons beef mixture. Bring dough over filling to center; pinch edges to seal.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Bake at 400° for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 sandwiches.
Reviews for Cheeseburger Buns
Sort By :
"our family LOVES this recipe, we have been making it for years! the dough by itself makes fantastic rolls too :)"
"At least one evening a week I work, and I try to make something during the day that is easy for my teens to just grab and eat. Made these for the first time this week. Next time, I will double the hamburger filling recipe. The dough expanded A LOT, and therefore the filling in the middle was so spread out and thin it was like eating a big roll with only a few crumbles of hamburger. Plus, I ran out before I filled all 16, so the last few I filled with ham and cheese. I will make these again, and I'm sure they will be better with more filling."
"It was yummy, and my son really liked it. I dipped it in ketchup and mustard."
"Love this recipe!!!"
"This is one of the best recipes I've had in the house for a long time!! Great idea and they freeze so easily. Stuff with whatever you want. This recipe is so versatile with what can go into the middle."