Cheese Twists Recipe
These impressive loaves take a little time to prepare, but they're well worth the effort. I've used the recipe for several years. I love making bread - there's no better way to work out life's little frustrations and with such yummy results! -Michelle Beran, Caflin, Kansas
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour and yeast. In a saucepan, heat buttermilk, butter, sugar and salt to 120°-130°; add to flour mixture. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add eggs; beat on low for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in enough whole wheat flour to make a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Cut each into three 12-in. x 3-in. strips. Combine cheese with 2 tablespoons of remaining whole wheat flour; sprinkle 1/3 cup down center of each strip. Bring long edges together over cheese and pinch to seal. Place three strips seam side down on greased baking sheets. Braid strips together; secure ends. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Immediately remove from baking sheets to wire racks; cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 182 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Cheese Twists
Reviewed Dec. 5, 2011
"Very tasty. Will make again soon."
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC