- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour and yeast. In a saucepan, heat buttermilk, butter, sugar and salt to 120°-130°; add to flour mixture. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add eggs; beat on low for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in enough whole wheat flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Cut each into three 12-in. x 3-in. strips. Combine cheese with 2 tablespoons of remaining whole wheat flour; sprinkle 1/3 cup down center of each strip. Bring long edges together over cheese and pinch to seal. Place three strips seam side down on greased baking sheets. Braid strips together; secure ends. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Immediately remove from baking sheets to wire racks; cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Cheese Twists in Taste of Home October/November 1994, p33
Reviews for Cheese Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 5, 2011
"Very tasty. Will make again soon."