Cheese Tortellini and Kale Soup Recipe
- 3 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links (4 ounces each), sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion, fennel, garlic, thyme and pepper flakes in oil until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add broth and water; bring to a boil.
- 2. Stir in kale and beans; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until kale is tender. Add tortellini; simmer, uncovered, for 7-9 minutes or until tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup equals 180 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 641 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat.