A steaming bowl of this hearty soup is always a welcomed dish with both my family and neighbors. I often serve it when we get together during the cold months to watch football games. I add crusty bread, sliced cheese and grapes to round out the meal. —Marlena Liimatainen, Denton, Maryland
- 3 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each), sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion, fennel, garlic, thyme and pepper flakes in oil until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add broth and water; bring to a boil.
- Stir in kale and beans; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until kale is tender. Add tortellini; simmer, uncovered, for 7-9 minutes or until tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Cheese Tortellini and Kale Soup in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p51
Reviews for Cheese Tortellini and Kale Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review