Just-picked garden flavor makes this hearty vegetable soup a summer staple for Anna Minegar in Zolfo Springs, Florida. “It warms the soul,” she explains.
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup salad croutons
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and vegetables are tender.
- Ladle the soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with croutons and cheese. Broil 6 in. from the heat until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Cheese-Topped Vegetable Soup in Cooking for 2 Summer 2006, p31
Reviews for Cheese-Topped Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 26, 2010
"Very good soup. I've made it several times. It is a quick and easy recipe."