Cheese-Topped Sloppy Joes
“I got this recipe for quick-to-fix sandwiches from my Aunt Nellie-a busy farm wife, she used to serve them to the harvest crew. Microwaved leftovers taste delicious the next day.” —Mary Dempsey, Overland Park, Kansas
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, brown sugar,
- mustard and ketchup.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes,
- stirring occasionally. Serve on buns with cheese.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 376 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 693 mg sodium,