“I got this recipe for quick-to-fix sandwiches from my Aunt Nellie-a busy farm wife, she used to serve them to the harvest crew. Microwaved leftovers taste delicious the next day.” —Mary Dempsey, Overland Park, Kansas
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, brown sugar, mustard and ketchup.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cheese-Topped Sloppy Joes in Country Woman June/July 2008, p37
Reviews for Cheese-Topped Sloppy Joes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 27, 2011
"At first this tasted a little bland, but then I added the cheese-YUMMY. Ate 3 of em. yummo"