- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices process American cheese
- Sour cream, optional
- Prepare campfire or grill for medium heat. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Place potato mixture on a piece of greased heavy-duty foil (about 36x12-in. rectangle). Fold foil around potato mixture and crimp edges to seal tightly.
- Cook, covered, 14-16 minutes on each side or until potatoes are tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Place cheese over potatoes; cook 2-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. If desired, serve with sour cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Cheese-Topped Potatoes in Foil
"These potatoes have a great flavor, I think the bacon is the reason I enjoyed them so much. I replaced the American cheese with shredded cheddar cheese. I baked mine in a cast iron skillet covered with foil in the oven. I also decided not to slice the potatoes."
"This recipe is fantastic and definitely a new favorite! I partially precooked the potato mixture in the microwave (16 minutes, stirring after every 4 minutes) and then divided it between two grilling bags. We finished cooking the potatoes on the grill. (Partially cooking them allowed for the potatoes and the chicken we were also grilling to finish at the same time.) The flavor was outstanding and I know we'll be making this recipe often!"
"These were amazing and so simple to put together! I forgot the bacon but they were still great without it and my whole family loved them."