This is one of my favorite entrees for two. I found this tender meat loaf recipe in a supermarket’s cookbook almost 20 years ago and have enjoyed it ever since. Sometimes I substitute ground turkey or chicken for the ground beef or make extra loaves to freeze for later meals. –Lois Kinneberg, Phoenix, Arizona
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup picante sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, 2 tablespoons picante sauce, oats, onion, chili powder and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into two 4-in. x 2-in. loaves.
- Place in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Place the remaining picante sauce in a small microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Pour over meat loaves. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and microwave on high for 45 seconds or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Cheese-Topped Meat Loaves in Simple & Delicious March/April 2006, p37
Reviews for Cheese-Topped Meat Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review