I first served this roast for a Christmas dinner a few years ago. My family raved about it! The spices create a unique flavor.—Kara Holtkamp, West Point, Iowa
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (2 to 2-1/2 pounds), trimmed
- 6 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried marjoram, oregano and basil
- CREAM SAUCE:
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sour cream
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, combine the flour, lemon-pepper, butter and cream until smooth. Stir in the cheese; set aside. Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the roast to within 1/2-in. of the bottom. Open roast so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 3/4-in. thickness.
- Remove plastic; place ham slices over roast. Spread cheese mixture lengthwise down the center of one side of roast to within 1-1/2 in of ends. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with the long side with cheese filling. Tie several times with kitchen string; secure ends with toothpicks.
- Combine paprika, marjoram, oregano and basil; rub over roast. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes hours or until a thermometer reads 145°. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the cornstarch until blended. Whisk in cream and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and salt. Slice roast; serve with cream sauce. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Cheese-Stuffed Pork Roast in Country December/January 2001, p49
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Cheese-Stuffed Pork Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review