Here's a sandwich that does regular burgers one better—with a surprise pocket of cheddar! "The beef patties contain additional popular toppings, including ketchup, mustard and onions," lists Janet Wood of Windham, New Hampshire. "Whenever I serve these, though, folks enjoy finding the melted cheese most."
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef
- over mixture and mix well. Shape into 24 thin patties. Sprinkle
- cheese in the center of 12 patties; top with remaining patties and
- press edges firmly to seal.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-9
- minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Serve on buns. Yield:
- 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 477 calories, 25 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 869 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese,