Cheese Stuffed Artichokes Recipe
—Dolores Tottino, Castroville, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min. YIELD:2-4 servings
- 2 large artichokes
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs, toasted
- 2 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 slices Canadian bacon, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. Using a sharp knife, level the bottom of each artichoke and cut 1 in. from the top. Using kitchen scissors, snip off tips of outer leaves. Place in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 20-25 minutes or until leaves near the center pull out easily.
- 2. With a spoon, carefully scrape out the fuzzy center portions of artichokes and discard.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, bacon and pepper. Add oil; mix well. Gently spread artichoke leaves apart; fill with bread crumb mixture.
- 4. Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until filling is lightly browned. Yield: 2-4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 151 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 387 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC