Five ingredients transform into long, crisp cracker sticks. The hand-held snacks make for easy mingling at parties.Elizabeth Robinson, Conroe, Texas
30 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Beat in cheese
- until blended. Combine the flour, salt and cayenne; stir into cheese
- mixture until a dough forms. Roll into a 15-in. x 6-in. rectangle.
- Cut into thirty 6-in. strips. Gently place strips 1 in. apart on
- ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for
- 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool
- completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cheese straw equals 72 calories, 5 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.