You'll have a hard time eating just one of these cheesy, buttery treats from Ann Nace of Perkasie, Pennsylvania. They make a fun appetizer or side for soups or salads. Try twisting the sticks for an extra-fancy look.
-Ann Nace of Perkasie, Pennsylvania
48 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in
- cheese. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. square. Cut in
- half lengthwise; cut each half widthwise into 1/2-in. strips.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Place 1 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at
- 425° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 cheese straw equals 19 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.