Cheese Squares Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 jars (5 ounces each) sharp American cheese spread, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 loaves (1-1/2 pounds each) thinly sliced sandwich bread, crusts removed
- In a bowl, cream butter, cheese spread and egg until smooth. Stir in chilies, salsa and cheddar cheese. Spread about 1 tablespoon cheese mixture on each slice of one loaf of bread.
- Top with remaining bread; spread with more cheese mixture. Cut each sandwich into four squares; place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To freeze, place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze for 1 hour. Remove from the baking sheet and store in an airtight container in the freezer until needed.
- To bake frozen, place squares on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and browned. Yield: 8 dozen.
Reviews for Cheese Squares
Sort By :
I am giving this 5 stars for several reasons: it is an easy recipe that makes a lot of pick-up appetizers; everyone who tasted it liked it; many asked for the recipe; it is freezable and even includes directions for reheating from frozen.
This recipe is great for kids as it tastes like grilled cheese, but it's time consuming. It's also not very attractive unless you cut it into perfect shapes after baking. Usually 4 stars on this site is reliable.
1-1/4 cup of cheesewhiz = 10 oz.
I think sharp cheese would be good