Cheese Squares Recipe
Explains Camarillo, California field editor Anita Curtis, "If you're looking for a great make-ahead snack, try these. They're nice to have in the freezer for lunch with soup or a salad. My family loves to nibble on them anytime."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:48 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 jars (5 ounces each) sharp American cheese spread, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 loaves (1-1/2 pounds each) thinly sliced sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter, cheese spread and egg until smooth. Stir in chilies, salsa and cheddar cheese. Spread about 1 tablespoon cheese mixture on each slice of one loaf of bread.
- 2. Top with remaining bread; spread with more cheese mixture. Cut each sandwich into four squares; place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3. To freeze, place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze for 1 hour. Remove from the baking sheet and store in an airtight container in the freezer until needed.
- 4. To bake frozen, place squares on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and browned. Yield: 8 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 102 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 213 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC