Cheese Soup with a Twist Recipe
One of my favorite childhood memories is of my Aunt Claire serving up hearty bowlfuls of her famous cheesy soup. She would pair it with a slice of warm buttered bread for a downhome lunch. It’s become a tradition to include it as part of our family’s Christmas buffet.
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons sherry, optional
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute the celery, onion and green pepper until tender.
- Stir in flour and pepper until blended; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cheese, olives, carrots and sherry if desired; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Sprinkle servings with parsley and bacon. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Cheese Soup with a Twist in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p81
Reviews for Cheese Soup with a Twist(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 21, 2014
Velveta was way to over powering. Olives didn't taste good with the cheese.