Cheese Soup in Squash Bowls Recipe
This unique recipe combines two dishes in one-cheese soup and baked squash. It's so hearty you could almost serve it as a meatless meal!
- 4 small acorn squash (about 12 ounces each) , halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sour cream and minced chives
- 1. Place squash cut side up in two 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Brush insides of squash with butter. Add 1/2-in. of hot water to each dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until squash is tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook the apples, carrot and onion in oil until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar, mustard, allspice, ginger and pepper. Cool slightly.
- 3. Process in small batches in a blender until smooth. Return to the pan. Add cheese and cream; cook and stir until smooth and blended. Place squash halves on serving plates; fill with soup. Garnish with sour cream and chives. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 170 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 572 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Cheese Soup in Squash Bowls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC