"I think it's a shame that souffles are often overlooked," writes Dennis Blankenbaker of Flora, Illinois. "These individual souffles are elegant for brunch."
4 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese or Swiss cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard and cayenne
- until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese
- until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the
- pan, stirring constantly. Cool slightly. In a bowl, beat egg whites
- until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour into four greased 10-oz. souffle dishes or custard cups. Bake at
- 350° for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center
- comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.